DR. DEBEN – ORTHOPAEDIC SURGEON
Practicing for 10 years
Dr. Deben is a vibrant, warm orthopaedic surgeon who prides herself on offering her patients a personal touch. She spends the needed one-on-one time with her patients to provide the necessary understanding so that her patients are able to make informed choices. As a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon and a foot and ankle subspecialist, she is current on cutting edge surgical and non-surgical options as well as cell-based therapies to include stem cells, platelet-rich plasma (PRP) and amniotic tissue. She is a clear, forward speaker and her patients appreciate the knowledge they gain from their visits. She is also an excellent listener, paying attention to each person’s individual desires and focusing her care. She takes the time to get to know the exercise, food, work and sleep habits of her clients in order to target a successful treatment plan.
Dr. Deben is bilingual and speaks Spanish fluently. She is a native of Miami from Cuban-born parents. After graduating Coral Gables Senior High School, she attended The George Washington University on a full, Presidential Honors Scholarship. She stayed at GWU for medical school, utilizing a Health Professions Scholarship from the United States Navy. Once completing her orthopaedic training, she spent seven years supporting our active duty Marines, sailors, soldier and airmen caring for elite athletes and forward-deployed personnel. She was stationed at Naval Medical Center San Diego, at Naval Hospital Camp Lejeune and at Camp Al-Taqqadam in Iraq. She achieved the rank of Commander prior to separating from the United States Navy.
Dr. Deben regularly cares for patients from all age groups and all walks of life. Her goal is to return her patients to their desired level of activity and comfort on their time frame and in a way the aligns with their goals. She also encourages preventive health measures to include diet optimization, exercise therapy and shoe modifications. She works with local coaches and therapists to help tailor rehabilitation to her clients needs. Patients who elect therapy at her center benefit from a close, team-like approach to their recovery. For patients who select surgical management, she offers a comprehensive pre- and post-surgical plan that allows them to navigate the journey through surgery as comfortably as possible.
As a woman and a female athlete, she understands the specific needs of women and how they impact their daily lives. Being open to discuss these particular needs brings great comfort and peace to her female clients. Feeling like your doctor really understands you is critical in formulating an effective treatment plan. Dr. Deben provides this regularly.
Dr. Deben also works regularly with injured workers. Her goal is an early diagnostic panel and a rapid return to work. She communicates regularly and often with nurse case managers and adjustors. She provides the DWC-25 at the time of discharge after each clinic visit to the patient and faxes the DWC by close of business that day to the prescribed individual. We honor all carrier contracts and are able to respect the budget restrictions for their care.
- DIPLOMATE OF THE AMERICAN BOARD OF ORTHOPAEDIC SURGERY
- Board Certified – July 2008
- DIPLOMATE, NATIONAL BOARD OF MEDICAL EXAMINERS – July 2001
- Fellow, American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Member, Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Deben S, Pomeroy G, “Surgical Management of the Subtle Cavus Foot”, Journal of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. 2014 August;22(8):512.
- Elston J, Pyo J, Deben S,“Prosthetic and reconstructive options in the military wounded warrior”, Current Orthopaedic Practice. 2013 March/April; 24(2): 114-119.
- Deben S, Turesky M, Pomeroy G, “Local navicular graft for use in lateral column lengthening in the treatment of Stage II posterior tibial tendon disease”, Techniques in Foot and Ankle Surgery. 2011 Dec; 10(4): 169-175.
- Izenwasser S, Thompson-Montgomery D, Deben S, Chowdhury I, Werling L, “Modulation of amphetamine-stimulated (transporter-mediated) dopamine release in vitro by Sigma 2 receptor agonists and antagonists,” Eur J Pharmacol. 1998 Apr 10; 346: 189-196.